Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Heart Soul Tummy is a blog hopefully to encourage, inspire, and make you smile. It is a little bit of everything that makes me happy! I am new to this, so don't judge me too much on my blogger skills, or lack there of.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Calla Lane

In the time since I last posted our nameless baby was born. We finally decided on a name. Calla Lane. Calla Lilies are my favorite flower and Calla also means "beauty" in Greek. Lane, as you know from a previous post, is my great-grandmother's maiden name. There you go. This poor girl will have a story to tell about how many names she had before she was born. It was quite insane. (Sorry Calla).
Now, some people are interested in the "birth story." If you are not one of these people, don't read on. But if you are... well here you go.
Saturday, March 2nd, Keith got off of work from the base. He had drill that weekend. We decided it would be fun to go to the mall to buy a new PJ set for the hospital, and I was hoping the walk around the mall would help kick-start labor (and it did). We got home, put our son to bed, and got ready for bed ourselves. My husband jokingly said, "You are having this baby tonight." I laughed and said "No way." At this point in pregnancy, it felt like the baby would NEVER come. I was doubtful and thought I would just be pregnant forever. Well, about an hour after heading to bed... around midnight... I had some light cramping. Nothing huge. I went and "Googled" my symptoms because I didn't know what to expect. With Chip, I was induced so I didn't know what labor felt like when it started on its own. The pain got a bit stronger, and that's when I called the hospital staff. They said it sounds like labor but to be sure I needed to time them for about an hour, and if they were regular then I could go ahead and come in. I went and woke up Keith, who was only pretending to sleep. I think he was freaking out. Actually, I am sure of it. We both were a little nervous and not quite sure this was really happening. It was close to 2 AM. We called his mother, Nita, to come stay at the house with Chip while we went to the hospital to have our baby girl. When we got to the hospital, I had to stop several times to endure the contractions... there was no doubt that this was labor. The security officer at the hospital took one look at me and said, "No need to sign in, just go." He clearly didn't want to have to deliver a baby. They admitted us at Stormont-Vail birthing center here in Topeka, KS. I spent several hours in the triage room because they wanted to make certain I was in active labor. Well, I was and it didn't take long. By the time they got me to the birthing room I was 6 cm and progressing fast. I started to push around 8 cm... not because the doctor told me too but because my body said too. It was just too hard not too. Sorry doc. I pushed a few times before my doctor, Dr. Teply, arrived for the final push. With that last push, our baby girl arrived in this world. She was 7 lbs of perfection. Seriously. Instantly my heart was full of love for her and even more so for her father, Keith. He was amazing during the birth. I had no pain medicine because I am "weird" like that. It was an amazing experience. One worth doing again, just not anytime soon. ;)

Calla Lane Hill

Born at 7:31 AM on March 3, 2013

7lbs, 20 inches long.




No comments:

Post a Comment