Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Heart Soul Tummy is a blog hopefully to encourage, inspire, and make you smile. It is a little bit of everything that makes me happy! I am new to this, so don't judge me too much on my blogger skills, or lack there of.

Monday, April 2, 2012

This is Who I Am

Part I of the book, The Resolution for Women, is titled "This is Who I Am." It was a tough section to read because, I promise you the author, Pricilla Shirer was talking to ME! Scary. But I chewed it bit by bit and have made the following resolutions: To embrace my current season in life and maximize my time in it, to champion God's model for womanhood, accept and celebrate my uniqueness and esteem others, and finally, to live as a women answerable to God.


Well then, what have I learned? Let me break it down for you.

"I resolve to embrace my current season in life and maximize my time in it." What does that mean? Well, first you must know I am a very impatient person. In fact, my husband won't let me paint for fear I will rush things. Don't get me wrong, I am not sad that he won't let me paint because I don't particularly like painting large areas like walls, but the fact that he won't even let me touch the paint brush because he doesn't trust me to take my time hurts a little. Now, since I have very little patience, God works on me lots. Believe it or not, he doesn't instantly make things happen when I think they should happen. He doesn't work that way; God works me through difficulty. And in the end, it is good. I just have to wait until the end. That is sometimes the hardest part. So, with this resolve, I have made up my mind that I will be content in my current sitution. Not that I don't have hopes, dreams, and goals for the future but I don't make those my focus so much so that I am discontented in my current stage of life. So what if I am not who I want to be right now? I am still a work in progress. I need to enjoy NOW and not pine for what is not. I rest in the fact that God has given me enough
Philippians 4:11 "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am"


"I resolve to champion God's model for womanhood." Basically to submit myself to God given leadership. This one was interesting to consider. Oftentimes, society portrays a submissive wife as a doormat to her husband. Quite the contrary. While the term "submissive" often carries negative connotations, it is actually a rewarding position.

God calls women to be submissive, like he calls men to be submissive. A man is accountable to God to honor and love his wife; a woman is accountable to God to do the same. Just because God has placed man over woman, does not make her the lesser. It simply determines order as seen in all aspects in God's creation. Just look around you. "God created man in his image... he created them male and female" (Genesis 1:27). Women are neither less or more than men, the difference is how we function. Male and female are no different in value in God's eyes. Women were not created to be second rate citizens. We are meant to be treasured, prized, and cherished as the Creator intended. God placed a mark of importance on women. We are created "good". We are necessary in the achievement of His purposes on earth.

Wait a minute. God places men at the head of the home? Well that sounds like a doormat to me? Well, look at it this way. Can a football player overpower a referee? Most likely. Then why doesn't he when the ref makes a bad call? Because there is an order and order is good. Like fire is best enjoyed in the confines of a fireplace, a woman's strength can be best displayed, it's benefits most fully experienced, when they are in the effective boundaries of God's order. Even if you're not married, you are accountable to someone/something. Submission is where everyone finds ultimate freedom. If there was no order in society, there would be complete chaos. It would be a battle of power. That would be exhausting to have to prove your strength at all times. True strength is the ability to harness it and use it to influence according to God's design. I am needed in my sphere of influence. God has me right where He needs me, not to be a doormat, but to help in His purpose. To build up my home, my husband, my friends, my child, etc. Women have tremendous power. Oftentimes, we misuse it and end up with the opposite of what we had hoped to achieve. By living submissively we place ourselves inside the protective covering of the Lord.
Ephesians 5:22-23 "Wives submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord for the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body."

"I resolve to accept my uniqueness and esteem other's uniqueness I admire." I so often in life have placed my value, self-worth, on trivial things like the clothes I was wearing, who I hung out with, how people perceived me. What a waste! I was basing my ENTIRE self worth on what others thought about me. Sad. I realize that I may lack in many areas, but I also have many strengths. Those who know me well know I can't sing. I mean, I can, but it is best not to let me. I am SO not gifted in this area. It is often a source of laughter for many of my dearest friends. My husband once dreamed of him, his wife, and kids gathered around the piano singing songs as a family. Then entered me. His wife. I opened my mouth and completely shattered all possibility of that dream coming true.

I need to celebrate those strengths, not wallow in the misery over my shortcomings and differences. So what if I can't carry a tune, or I am not a size 2, or wearing the newest styles? Who cares! I am me, and that is something to be celebrated. And, instead of being jealous of others who seem to have so much that I admire, I should celebrate and compliment them. Build them up for being great. Not feel threatened by their strengths just because I might be lacking. We were created different. We all have different purposes, and we're created for God's specific plan. God has selected the "soil" where I am presently growing.

I asked a friend, who knows me pretty darn well, and these were a few of strengths she cited in me!
1. I have loads of energy and enthusiasm
2. I am always seeking to improve myself
3. I am fun
4. I am outspoken
5. I am sensitive

Now, ask a friend what your strengths are. You will be surprised to find out you are more awesome than you thought.

Lastly, "I resolve to live as a women answerable to God." Faithfulness. Complete faithfulness to God is more than just believing but rather the physical outworking of what you believe. It is easy to say, "I love you." But what do your actions say? I seek to allow what I believe about God and His word to guide my hands, feet, mind, and heart, even in the most difficult times. I may not be perfect, but I will be purposeful, and seek to honor God in every aspect of my life.
Fun. Eating with the family at The Blue Moose.


"We are in the world, but not of the world- not controlled by it, consumed by it, compelled by it. We are women answerable to the One who created us." (p.  69).

2 comments:

  1. This post really spoke to me. I often want to be the best I can be IN GOD'S EYES. It can be so hard to forget about what others think of you and just focus on what God thinks of you. You have a way with words and i love your honesty, I think I may need to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you get the book. We can chat about it. Thanks for the encouragement too. I like to share. It helps for me to write. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete